Monday, September 22, 2014

My first post. How cute.

Well, this is my first post. It's going well so far. Or is it? It's tough to say. I feel like I'm being forced to contrive introspection. I'm not that introspective on my own.

I feel like I'm a writer on SNL, making the "Deep Thoughts" jokes. A lot of what we discuss in educational technology is obvious to those of us already using it in the classroom. But, not everyone has access to the same technology, and certainly not everyone has the same experience or expertise with technology. So the things I think are "obvious" probably aren't...but I'm still going to end up writing with some humor thrown in. Sorry, I just can't help it.

I think I'll talk about "classic" events in my county for a bit. I've had iPads in my classroom for 3 years now. The first year I was volunteered for a "pilot program" which comprised 6 teachers across different content areas at my school. We went to *a lot* of training that year, and had frequent meetings to discuss apps we found useful for our content areas and how we were using the iPads in general in our classes. I never wanted to be in the program...I just had told my department head that I was interested in getting a cart of iPads since our school had just [to me] miraculously  fortunately received 30 carts of 30 iPads each as part of a grant. 

So last week there was a staff email about signing up for iPad training if we were interested in obtaining a cart this year. I already have my cart and have been using it since the start of school. (The school apparently didn't feel it was a security risk to leave the cart in my classroom all summer instead of locking it away like they're supposed to, and like I was led to believe would happen before I left at the end of last school year.) I ignored this email because why would I need training on something I've been using for 3 years? Why would I need to fill out an application to use something that I already have? Little do I know. I was told that I had to fill out the application and show up at the training as part of a "record keeping" process since we have a new principal who has no idea how to run a high school. Yaaay. It's not like I have other things to do for an hour and a half after school. Maybe I'll write a blog post during the training. I'm sure you all would love to follow along!

6 comments:

  1. Jack (I mean, Ken)
    You are too funny. So, really? No one was tracking and recording the original pilot program? Apply for a transfer !? I gather that you are part of a large school system, something that I am just becoming familiar with. But, do you actually use the ipads to teach math? It seems like you should be part of the cohort that is running the training at this point. . .What a misfire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or Joe?

    The person who was tracking the program originally left after last school year. I'm not sure who's running the program now, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I go to the meeting. I don't wanna transfer...because I really like this school...but I also really like mocking things that are done inefficiently. The websites I use are more for classroom practice than direct instruction. Technically it's using the technology just to use it (when they could just as easily be doing work out of the book), but the websites have tutorial features so kids can get help from the site itself and allow me to circulate around the room more during class. Or reply to blog posts. You know, whatever. Multi-tasking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe
      That is awesome. I'm loving the Jack Handey theme and I get your refreshing wit pertaining to the school and the systems put in place to "track", etc. Keep up the good work. Schools need more REAL people like yourself.

      Delete
  3. I feel your pain!!!

    Last year, I taught 2nd grade (all content). The district purchased this new phonics program for K-2 and all of us that taught reading at that level had to attend a 3-hour mandatory training session about how to implement it in the classroom (basically, how to read the manual and watch the YouTube tutorials). Ok, fine.... I went, learned and it was successful....

    So this year, I teach 3rd grade (math only, mind you). The district has decided that the phonics program was so successful that they are buying it for 3rd graders too. So.... I had to go AGAIN because "no 3rd grade teachers were trained last year". Ugh!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Jackie, you AND Joe are both in ridiculous situations aren't you. Hang in there and real those manuals and watch those videos to the best of your college educated abilities. It seems that those who run the schools aren't exactly using their smarts nowadays.

      Delete
  4. I guess you could be critical of the training and comment on how it could have been better.

    ReplyDelete