Sunday, September 28, 2014

Technology Tips

In class this week, we've been asked to start thinking about our literature review paper for the class this semester. To aid in this process, we must complete an exercise to familiarize ourselves with the UMUC library.

Wait, didn't we all do that with "UCSP 611"? I've known how to search using Boolean operators since high school. That's all I'm going to say about that exercise.

Anyway, with that process, and seeing that my group presentation this semester is on the flipped classroom, I thought about researching how iPads could aid in the flipped classroom concept. I've had iPads in my classroom for 3 years now (well, part of one year, then a full year, and a month so far this year). I'm very comfortable using iPads in the classroom, and know of a lot of resources to help make learning math easier for my students. But, our iPads aren't allowed to be removed from the classroom. The school doesn't really want us requiring homework to be done electronically because it puts pressure on the occasional student who doesn't have internet and a computer at home.

I think a type of flipped classroom could be accomplished in my room, where I create videos of lessons ahead of time and have the students watch these at the start of class each day. Then we could discuss concepts from the videos and proceed to do work on the iPad for the day. It's not a true "flipped classroom", but it's probably as close as I'd be able to get right now.

With that in mind, I thought about some of the resources I've used and where I've learned about them. My main source would have to be my colleague Mr. Shulman. His technology blog covers many apps that he uses in the classroom. On the iPads, one of the key ways teachers at my school create information for students is through Google Drive. I love Drive, because it has all the software of Microsoft Office, but for free and in the cloud. Each student in our county has been given a Google email address, allowing them to create and save information on the Drive. [Hah--the only problem is getting kids to remember their password!]


Lastly, I'll leave you all with The Scientific Way to Cut a Cake:

This video is from Numberphile (get it? they love numbers?). I've tried to show videos like this to my classes the last few years, but they get lost in the British accents and heavy math (a lot of content is only interesting to people who already have a college math degree). Oops, sometimes I'm a nerd.

3 comments:

  1. I like the inside flip (or a hybrid . . . blended) flip idea. The description on the Tech Tips for Teachers blog—nice link—was really useful. There was a great video cast of an inside flip with stations in a Spanish class. I found it useful.
    I also agree with you about using Google Drive. I tend to forget myself to use it because I am so oriented to use Microsoft, but I think it is vital to model using it for the students. Using Google Drive seems like 21st century life skill now. Everything gets shared on it.
    Sounds strange now, but just several years ago we would not allow our young daughters to have a Google email because we did not consider it safe and protected enough! They had parent protected email accounts (3rd,4th, 5th grades). And, we were not the only parents. Now that’s out of the question. A Google account is fundamental to learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been doing the flipped classroom this year also. I post my notes in pdf format on Edmodo before the class. As “homework” I have the students review the notes and prepare any questions they have for the following class. This usually leads to a pretty good student centered discussion about the notes from the class before. When I would review the notes, the students generally didn’t ask many questions and then failed to do their homework or understand it. Once we review the material, I give them a short quiz. We then do some researching or read articles in class about the material. The students seem to be more motivated this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a concept, I love the idea of a flipped classroom. But, I am unable to do it in my own school because of the lack of resources that students have (most do not have Internet access or computers at home) and because at the 3rd grade level, many of them would not be responsible or mature enough to complete the required assignments before class without significant parent support (which most, unfortunately, also do not have at home).

    However.... I love the idea that you are using in class where you "modify" the flipped classroom. It's an interesting an engaging way to start a class and you can share those videos with students who need to repeat the lesson or who are absent.

    Do you video all your lessons? On YouTube? How long does that take? I'm curious about trying this out for my 3rd grade math.....

    ReplyDelete